Swansea City Forum - A to Z Footballers
Vital Football

Latest Swansea City News

Welcome to the Swansea City A.F.C. Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: 'I was surprised, but I always say nothing surprises me in football.'
- (Added by: sbrjack)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Vote for your man of the match vs West Brom
Suggested By:
Fabianski2%
Naughton0%
van der Hoorn2%
Mawson0%
Olsson0%
Mesa47%
Carroll0%
Ki19%
Routledge0%
Bony30%
Dyer0%
Write for Vital Football
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.Phil W4
2.Dennis Downing2
3.KevinE1
The Vital Football Members League
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (31): « First ... 26 27 28
30 31 Last »
A to Z Footballers
23 August 2014 11:49 Post ID: #127044 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Simon Church

My spurs supporting son says Carroll is a neat player who will fit into our style but he is quite light weight and therefore should not be relied on as a defensive midfielder. That disappoints me as all our current midfielders are not what you would strong in the tackle, I was hoping for a Bodde type who could protect our back four. Guess we will have to wait and see how this young Spurs boy fits in and trust that both he and us will benefit from his loan deal.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
24 August 2014 08:25 Post ID: #127053 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Timothée Kolodziejczak,Nice

Carroll not the answer by the sound of it,we need a terrier in front of the back four. We were crying out for a Leon type player yesterday. I would go all out to get Stambouli in next week. Also Taylor was exposed a few times second half,I wonder how good his proposed back up Timothee is,and whether we can clinch his signing.
Shelvey was a loose cannon sometimes and was very erratic in his passing,and diving in to the tackle,not sure whether him and Ki work too well together.
Like post
Like this post
24 August 2014 13:52 Post ID: #127059 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Upson (Matthew)

We saw during the Villarreal game how vulnerable we are in midfield when under the cosh, at the moment we don't have the right combination and this was made abundantly clear in the second half yesterday. Our manager had no one to bring on to change things and in a way I'm glad that it was made clear for him and our chairman to see, we must rectify this before the window closes. Leon is still weeks away from a return and so I'm really hoping that the two players you mentioned above are our targets and deals can be completed.
Like post
Like this post
25 August 2014 10:21 Post ID: #127064 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Vagner(Alexandru),Brasov,Romania

Let's go for it HJ!
We slipped to third yesterday as Spurs demolished QPR. Were Spurs that good or QPR very poor,they made them look like world beaters.
On to tomorrow night,and a welcome back to ex-Swan Paul Raynor,now assistant to Steve Evans at Rotherham.
I wonder what sort of side GM will put out. He's stated he wants to do well in the cup and it's a bit early in the season to rest players because of fatigue,so maybe a strong bench,with a start for Fed and Carroll,and Bafe and Jeff to also start. Rotherham have just been promoted to the Championship and had a great win at Millwall on Saturday,so no pushovers,it could be a tough game.
Like post
Like this post
25 August 2014 23:12 Post ID: #127070 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Willian

Treat Rotherham lightly at our peril, they are doing very well these days with a manager I have little time for, his assistant however I do remember well. Paul Raynor although not the best striker was certainly a trier & always gave 100% when he played for us. We have come a long way since then but as I said we cannot be at all complacent if we want to progress is this cup competition.
Like post
Like this post
26 August 2014 09:22 Post ID: #127074 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Xhaka(Granit),Mönchengladbach

Can't say I know too much about Steve Evans,but of course Raynor will be a well known player to a lot of our fans.
We have the real and rare luxury of three games in a week,this week,although I don't understand why we have two consecutive home league games,whilst others have two consecutive away games,meaning later in the season it will be reversed.
The cheap tickets for tonight's game should ensure a good crowd,and enable fans to see us play,who otherwise would never get a chance.
There's still teething problems with the new ticket system scanning,mine alarmed on Saturday,but was soon sorted,luckily I was there early. The results of the problems they encountered were published,and I can't believe the number of fans who were trying to use self printed tickets twice,if true where would they sit once inside,doesn't make sense.

Like post
Like this post
26 August 2014 11:11 Post ID: #127078 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Younis Kabul

Just goes to show that something needed to change at the turnstiles, it annoys me that some cheated the club when using a replacement season ticket card as well as giving an original for someone else to use or passing their tickets through the door for another to get in. At least that won't happen now although the new scanners are not perfect and are held manually but they will hopefully stamp out misuse. I just want us to hurry up and expand the stadium, I know many will say that we don't fill it now for cup games but a bigger capacity will allow for many new season ticket holders as well as casual fan to attend and help our fanbase grow still further.

Tonight is a banana skin game and we must not take it likely. Steve Evans used to manage Boston United and is a hard and ruthless guy who tried to use dirty tactics and slated our players including Trundle when we went there and won several years ago. I would like nothing better than to see us beat his Rotherham side though will give Paul Raynor the applause he deserves before kick off for his time with us back in the eighties.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 26/8/2014 11:13
Like post
Like this post
27 August 2014 10:13 Post ID: #127084 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Zabarovskis(Konstantins),FC Raba,Latvia

Good win last night against a solid defensive team. They didn't have much in the way of attack,but we dealt admirably with the constant high balls and long throw ins. Back four did well,Bartley shone,Fed looked solid and Tiendalli/Jazz also. Shame we couldn't have scored more but a win is a win,and with ten changes,very satisfying. We could have been Leicester,West Ham or Man U this morning,thankfully we're not and can look forward to the next round (guess who's into the next round,and what's the odds of drawing them,the leading city and top club in Wales as promoted by the biased local media,even after they were relegated!)
Carroll looked good at what he did but is he strong enough for the PL,I still want Stambouli in. I remember Steve Evans now,and when Trundle got a penalty at Boston,he accused him of diving.
So three wins in a row,all different goal scorers and Bafe off the mark. Big game on Saturday. It would be fantastic to go into the break with three league wins out of three,and be able to sit on that win for two weeks near the top of the table.
Ticket problems again last night,kick off delayed 10 mins,are there really fans printing multiple tickets,passing their cards back outside,and even using duplicate cards?
Like post
Like this post
27 August 2014 15:28 Post ID: #127088 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Alan Tate

The problems last night were not with the scanners but just people turning up on the night and queueing to buy tickets, we used to have outlets outside the ground to buy tickets with cash but these are no longer used because all our games in the prem are sell outs. The ticket office couldn't cope with the volumn of last minute purchasers, think many decided to go when they saw the weather was good. Good to see a decent crowd for a cup game, thankfully the pricing was right so it just goes to show that new fans will come with kids if it is cheap enough. Get that expansion started Mr Jenkins, our fanbase will definitely continue to increase with reasonable seat prices and a decent team to watch.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 27/8/2014 15:31
Like post
Like this post
28 August 2014 09:16 Post ID: #127095 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Babenko(Dmitriy),Hoverla,Ukraine

Whilst no official attendance figure could be found,one of our forums had it at 14,321,showing it paid off handsomely to drop the prices.
Expansion now mentioned to start next summer,January speculation all but forgotten,so some wait still.
According to Press reports WBA's new signings Silvestre Varela, Georgios Samaras and Joleon Lescott are not match fit and won't be selected for Saturday's game,every little helps.
GM has stated that he's looking for two more players.He's said that he's happy with the midfield now that Fulton is back from injury and Carroll has signed,which is the opposite to what most fans think. The Stambouli transfer can be discounted then,he would have been an ideal addition,but not to be,and time will tell who was right.
Like post
Like this post
28 August 2014 16:15 Post ID: #127104 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Carlton Cole

Thinking about the defensive midfield role perhaps Monk has decided that Shelvey could be that man as I noticed that he seems to be the main tackler for us though up until now he has mis timed most of them and been lucky on one or two occasions not to be booked or even sent off. I'm not sure how I feel about him, although only 22 he has been playing first team football for six years yet at times still looks and behaves like a sixteen year old boy....can he take responsibility for such an important role or are we asking for trouble. His main assets are his long range passing and the occasion shot on target but that doesn't really fit in with who we are, he seems like a square peg in a round hole and personally if someone came in for him at this late stage I'd say let him go and lets get that strong tackling midfielder in and let Ki play a more forward role.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 28/8/2014 16:17
Like post
Like this post
29 August 2014 09:08 Post ID: #127108 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Dachelet(Miguel),Lierse FC,Belgium

I'm not happy with JJS in the defensive midfield role either,he does tend to be erratic,not want you want in that position. Also,I don't think Ki is suited there,and both are better in the attacking midfield role. The alternative is Carroll/Fulton,both inexperienced youngsters.
GM said yesterday that Hodgson has not been to the Liberty to watch our players since he's been England manager. I'm sure he is well aware of our players from his time as WBA manager though,so we have to assume they do not suit his style of play. He was in regular attendance at Southampton last season,and is obviously blinkered on who he wants to play in his set up.

Like post
Like this post
29 August 2014 16:36 Post ID: #127112 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Edgar Davids

Hodgson is all that is wrong with the England set up, a dinasaur who sticks with an antiquated system that was cruelly exposed in Brazil and yet he was handed a contract extension by the powers that be for his failure. It is crazy, we know that Leon Britton could have been a fantastic midfielder for England with his technical ability but was overlooked for power and strength and now JJS has been given the cold shoulder along with our other English boys Nathan and Wayne. It is not good for Swansea City as it could put some English youngsters off coming here but maybe that is what Hodgson and his cronies really want, there is plenty of jealousy for what we have achieved here in our corner of South West Wales and as for Hodgson himself he was made to look a very poor manager when we comfortably beat his Fulham and West Brom teams.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 29/8/2014 16:38
Like post
Like this post
30 August 2014 09:29 Post ID: #127116 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Fabinho,Monaco FC

I can't see Hodgson lasting too long as England manager anyway,so maybe a good thing our boys are not picked and will escape the inevitable flak from the Press when they lose. More bad results and he'll be gone. Picking Rooney captain is a big mistake,too much of a loose cannon.
Today we can make a huge statement to the rest of the PL by beating WBA. Not an easy task,as they are also unbeaten,albeit with two draws.
Like post
Like this post
30 August 2014 10:21 Post ID: #127120 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Gordon Banks

No game is easy at this level and today will be another test for our team, that first half against West Brom two seasons ago at the Liberty when we took them apart probably goes down as the best I've ever seen us play. Would be wonderful if we saw a glimpse of that quality again today but first and foremost would just settle for an ugly win which seems to be the way we play in the second half of matches at the moment.

Will be interesting to see if Garry continues with the side that started our other two matches, I'm still not happy with the JJS/Ki midfield combination but with Leon out and the young Carroll yet to settle in it may be his only option at the present. Looks like the fans will not be seeing the new defensive midfielder we crave coming in before Monday night, a big gamble I have to say and one which I sincerely hope we don't live to regret.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 30/8/2014 10:22
Like post
Like this post
31 August 2014 09:18 Post ID: #127127 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Habibou(Habib),Zulte Waregem,Belgium

Great show from the boys yesterday as we outplayed WBA. Dyer took his two goals well and is now our leading scorer. Great goal by Routledge,it was so well taken,but not given enough credit on MOTD. I thought we would be higher up the list of priority for matches shown but we were down in fourth place and given the average coverage time -
1.Everton/Chelsea - 18 mins, 2.ManC/Stoke - 14 mins, 3.Newcastle/Palace - 11 mins,
all the rest 10 mins - 4.Swansea/WBA, 5.West Ham/Saints, 6.Burnley/Man U, 7.QPR/Sunderland
I thought the big screens gave better coverage of the match yesterday,and the goal highlights. The illuminated advertising boards brightness was turned down after complaints,and there wasn't any problems with the ticket scanning as far as I know.So all in all a very pleasant day and joint top of the table,can't be bad!
Like post
Like this post
31 August 2014 16:48 Post ID: #127131 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Ijah Anderson

Things certainly are coming together on and off the field, as you say the scanners seem to be working much better now so that admission at the turnstiles is getting quicker and although still annoying for those at the front the advertising boards were less noticable yesterday. As for the screens whoever is in charge is getting it right now, the clock and match time is permanently on and replays are being shown regularly. One error on his (or her) part was showing the handball incident after the free kick for a back pass, the crowd could see it was blatant but of course the ref ignored it much to our disapproval.

We could have won that match by six goals and their manager couldn't have complained, all he did however was make a big thing of the early slip by his player which led to our first. Didn't want to give us any credit for the win but there again his job must already be in jeopardy after reading some of the comments from disgruntled West Brom fans.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (31): « First ... 26 27 28
30 31 Last »
Jump to forum: