Swansea City Forum - A to Z Footballers
Vital Football

Latest Swansea City News

Welcome to the Swansea City A.F.C. Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: 'It was like the ref had a brand new yellow card and wanted to see if it worked.' - Richard Rufus
- (Added by: sbrjack)
Current Poll (see more polls)
What will the result be vs Bournemouth?
Suggested By:
Swansea City win25%
Draw0%
Bournemouth win75%
Vital Football Comment
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.Phil W15
2.Dennis Downing7
3.KevinE4
4.gorky271
5.jonno11
6.GThomas1
7.david1
Write for Vital Football
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (31): « First ... 19 20 21
23 24 25 ... Last »
A to Z Footballers
12 June 2014 16:35 Post ID: #126434 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
John Hartson

Having travelled numerous times by air recently have got into the habit of just taking hand luggage as it so much easier, quicker and of course saves on paying for suitcases which can be almost as much as the flight costs. Haven't travelled from Cardiff for ages because of the excessive fares, we tend to go from Gatwick and stay at a nearby hotel leaving our car with them for the duration. It still works out cheaper than flying from Wales & we've found the choice of flight days and times are much better.

I do like Cyprus as it is so diverse, we've stayed in Paphos and Limassol in the past and found the people very friendly and welcoming. The flight time is much longer than to Spain and Majorca but they do drive on the left like us and the weather is usually lovely even in winter.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 12/6/2014 16:41
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
13 June 2014 11:22 Post ID: #126438 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Karborda (Vladislav),Belarus
I had a great deal with Olympic Holidays and stayed just outside Protaras,about an hour from Larnaca. I went in a sports bar called Spectrum,nicknamed Piggy's Bar after their bulldog.It was full of football club shirts.There were two Swans shirts on the wall,one with Action,signed by the team,only one I could make out was Jonathan Coates, and one with Travel House on it signed by Leighton James.Asked the owner and he said Leighton had been in a few weeks previous and owned a villa close by,small world.
One interesting trip was the red London double decker open topped bus crossing over the border to see the ghost town of Varoshia,close to the Venetian walled city of Famagusta. Varoshia was the number one resort in Cyprus in the 70's,and host to the rich and famous,including Elizabeth Taylor,Richard Burton,Raquel Welch and Bridget Bardot. There was a beautiful sandy beach there with high rise hotels all empty and derelict for over 40 years after a mass evacuation due to the Turkish invasion.The UN took control of it and cordoned off the whole stretch of coast and land,and it is guarded outside the fences by armed Turkish soldiers,strictly no photos,they were watching us through binoculars to make sure. You could see some of the buildings had chunks ripped out of them after they'd been bombed.There was also British territory,consisting of some 98 square miles,with border posts that we had to pass through to get there,very interesting trip.
Like post
Like this post
13 June 2014 15:49 Post ID: #126442 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Lawrence (Denis)

Yes I also went to the capital and saw the no go zone, quite eerie as nothing has been touched since the war in that area so is covered in years of dust and debris, also noticed a massive Turkish flag which had been etched into the mountain as if in defiance to the Greeks. There is still much animosity between these two groups of Cypriots even after all this time but it is the north that look to be suffering more with lack of tourism as most visitors stay in the more welcoming south.

I also went to the national football ground in Cyprus which was quite run down at the time, that was a few years ago so may have been updated since. We took a trip up to the Troudos mountains to see the tomb of the much loved leader Makarios which was also very interesting, it is guarded 24 hours a day by conscripted soldiers who stand to attention for an hour at a time.

Tomorrow I'll be visiting Bath for a horse race meeting, it's a first for me as I've never taken any interest in the sport but it makes a change from the stresses and strains of watching our team on a weekend.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 13/6/2014 15:52
Like post
Like this post
14 June 2014 10:06 Post ID: #126446 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Maak,Matthias,Kapfenburg,Austria
Fascinating subject,and loads of photos and videos can be found on facebook. Certainly turned me off Turkey after what they did there.
Shock result for Holland against Spain last night,Spain hammered 5-1,van Persie was excellent,and a 60 minute show from De Guzman too.Spain were very poor and their players couldn't wait for the match to finish.Holland look good bets to go far in the competition.
Like post
Like this post
15 June 2014 18:27 Post ID: #126452 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Neil Lennon

So much to see when you travel abroad, we are not ones just to lay around sunbathing, much prefer visiting places of historical interest or chatting with the locals about their way of life.

One of my friends has travelled to Brazil for the World Cup, as a Wales fan he has no real allegiances apart from those with Swans players but have been reading his latest internet blog called A Welshman in Brazil. Great to see Wilf score for the Ivory Coast, worth staying up half the night for particularly after he had seemingly been slated by the ITV commentator for taking Drogba's place in the side.
Like post
Like this post
16 June 2014 08:50 Post ID: #126457 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Oar (Tomas), Utrecht
I hope he stays,we do not want him doing too well in the World Cup,big clubs will be watching him closely.
Good news from Leigh Dineen's twitter page,according to one forum poster. We're apparently installing two big screens at the stadium this summer,which will enable us to see action replays at last. With multi million bids in for players to strengthen the team,the ground expansion imminent,and the ticket office revamped with a state of the art ticketing system being introduced by Ticketline,a leading UK ticketing agency,we are taking all the right steps to becoming an established PL club.
Like post
Like this post
16 June 2014 15:24 Post ID: #126461 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Paul Power

Let's hope so, the efficiency of our ticket office in particular has left much to be desired in recent seasons. Trust that ticketmaster will not be charging the earth for us to purchase tickets for away games and that best view seats are given to those who book first. Will be good to have those large screens at the Liberty especially if in future as FIFA have indicated contentious issues are replayed to aid the officials.
Like post
Like this post
17 June 2014 09:35 Post ID: #126468 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Quaresma (Ricardo),Porto
With the new system in place we can supposedly print our own tickets. Hopefully this will work for the away matches as well,saving a journey to the stadium to pick up the tickets,a boon for long distance supporters. Shame the away season has stopped as it saved a lot of hassle,and I feel that the club has taken the easy option instead of solving any issues. The excuse of not enough demand was pretty lame,didn't they wonder why fans had stopped buying the away season ticket,it was common knowledge we were given the worst seating every time.
Like post
Like this post
17 June 2014 16:49 Post ID: #126474 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Ronaldo

Games in the World cup are coming thick and fast, the only poor game so far was last night's Nigeria v Iran clash which funnily enough was one of the games my friend had a ticket for. The Germans look ominously good, not happy however with the play acting of Muller, thankfully we have seen precious little of it so far so found it quite offensive that he was prepared to overreact to rile Pepe enough to cause the sending off. Tonight we may see Ki for South Korea, wonder if we will get him back from Sunderland after his recent spate of injuries, not sure I really want him to return as to me he flatters to deceive and would prefer to keep Canas who at least battles for every ball.
Like post
Like this post
18 June 2014 10:58 Post ID: #126479 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Saadi (Idriss),St Etienne
I thought Ki was good last night,great passing accuracy. He'll be like a new signing for us,and Monk wants him back.
Hugo Moreno looked good for Mexico,I'm sure we've been after him for a while,maybe out of our price range now though.
Like post
Like this post
18 June 2014 15:07 Post ID: #126483 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Thierry Henry

Ki did ok last night especially in the first half, just wish he would push forward a bit more and take a shot now and again, don't think he scored a goal when with us mainly because he didn't make many attempts but did get four for Sunderland during his loan spell. If he does return will he be battling for a starting spot with Leon or De Guzman if he returns. Looking less likely as Monk suggests that Jonathan's World Cup exposure will increase his value to nearer £10 mill which I find a bit hard to believe.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 18/6/2014 15:08
Like post
Like this post
19 June 2014 08:49 Post ID: #126488 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Ubiparip (Vojo).Lech FC,Poland
Spain out of the world cup,and they were made to look poor. Chile,with Cardiff's Medel playing in defence,looked rock solid,and their "in your face" tactics worked a treat. It reminded me of some of the sides we played against last season,who gave us no room to play and negated our passing game very effectively. Spain had no answer either,and the holders will now be going home early.
A chance to see Bony again at 5 pm today,as Drogba won't start,he's been out injured and is not fit enough to play a whole game,although he'll probably come on at some stage as he's such an influential player,even at 36 years old.
Like post
Like this post
19 June 2014 19:38 Post ID: #126493 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Vincent Kompany

Not Wilf's best game but he was starved of service as he was in the first half of the other game against Japan, once he went off Columbia scored from a corner which I think our boy might have cleared as he is so good at heading balls away. From a selfish point of view would like to see the Ivory Coast knocked out early which lessons his chances of a move because of less exposure plus he'll get more rest before next season. Have a feeling we might strill struggle to hang on to him if the price offered is right.
Like post
Like this post
20 June 2014 09:59 Post ID: #126497 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Wagner (Sandro), Hertha Berlin
He was on his own up front with poor service. Hopefully Ivory Coast will be knocked out soon, so we can save our Bony (why do they insist on calling him "Bonny").
England very poor last night and had no answer to Uruguay's no nonsense tactics,and were bullied off the ball time after time. Chances very slim of progressing now, Hodgson will be gone soon,as the Press will persecute him,and he can renew his season ticket at love team Southampton.
Like post
Like this post
20 June 2014 16:21 Post ID: #126501 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
X...Younis Kabul

Glad I'm not the only one that gets annoyed about the mispronouncation of Wilf's name, surely by now the commentators on tv and radio should be able get it right. Seems the Ivory Coast will progress as Japan and the Greeks could only manage a 0-0 late last night, just couldn't face watching the second half of that one which was just as well.

Disappointed for England but not at all surprised at their demise, what a dinosaur Hodgson is... where was the pace and skill that some of the England forwards possess and could have caused problems for a Uruguay side that were not that good...sadly any influence they could have had was lost in what were terrible tactics by a manager who never could get the better of the Swansea style of play. Playing Gerrard who is well past his best plus Henderson who has no technical skill or vision was pure folly, although I'm not English I am British and support all the home nations in competitions against foreign teams unlike many small minded Welsh fans who revel in England's defeat.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 20/6/2014 16:22
Like post
Like this post
21 June 2014 10:31 Post ID: #126506 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Zabaleta (Pablo),Man City
Spurs enter the race for Bony according to reports. Are they really that much better than us.I know they are a big club but they were poor last season. All they've got is the Europa League this season,and not Champions League like Liverpool and Arsenal.
I find the anti-English brigade pretty childish,I was hoping for England to go through as the only British team.If it had been Ireland or Scotland I would have been supporting them too. England were hopeless really,and it has to be the managers fault when the team that you put out are pretty clueless. I'm surprised he's had a vote of confidence.I still rate Gerrard,but he was unusually poor too.
Like post
Like this post
21 June 2014 11:00 Post ID: #126512 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Ashely Williams

Gerrard has not been at his best for sometime, Rodgers moved him into a more defensive role but he really hasn't got the pace anymore to do the job and I can see him being phased out slowly from the Liverpool side.

France seem to be the team to beat although I did miss their game last night, to score five against a half decent Swiss side shows they have much creativity in their side.

Was thinking back to last winter when I went to Switzerland for the St Gallen game and we visited the FIFA headquarters which is right at the top of a steep hill in Zurich, we were able to go into the main entrance and see the all the world cup balls that have been used over the years. Am quite impressed with the current one as goals seem to be flying in from all angles, it certainly has made a difference compared to the one in South Africa which apparently was more difficult to control. Also like the ref's white foam to mark out the ten yards for free kicks and hope it is implemented here in the UK in future.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 21/6/2014 11:01
Like post
Like this post
Pages (31): « First ... 19 20 21
23 24 25 ... Last »
Jump to forum: