Swansea City Forum - A to Z Footballers
Vital Football

Latest Swansea City News

Welcome to the Swansea City A.F.C. Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: 'It was the game that put the Everton ship back on the road.'
- (Added by: KevinE)
Current Poll (see more polls)
What will the result be vs Bournemouth?
Suggested By:
Swansea City win29%
Draw14%
Bournemouth win57%
Vital Football Comment
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.Phil W15
2.Dennis Downing7
3.KevinE4
4.gorky271
5.jonno11
6.GThomas1
7.david1
Write for Vital Football
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (31): « First ... 17 18 19
21 22 23 ... Last »
A to Z Footballers
06 May 2014 11:59 Post ID: #126226 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Christian Edwards

I do believe there is as much of a split amongst the board regarding keeping Monk on permanently as manager as there is with the fans but from what we are hearing Garry has been offered the job. Jenkins couldn't have been impressed with our style of play on Saturday or over the past few games despite our two wins, we have had our best side out recently apart from Michu so there are no excuses that we have been understrength. Some are saying that Curt is experienced enough to be second in command but as much as I loved him as a player he has never shown the quality necessary at managerial level.

I can only hope that Jenkins and co. do not rue their decision and I desperately hope that it works out to be an inspired choice despite my reservations.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
07 May 2014 10:03 Post ID: #126233 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
da Silva(Pedro Miguel), Lorient, France
It's done and dusted,as Curtis said,just waiting for the announcement. We all hope he succeeds,the choice has been made,let's see how he does,and wish him good luck.
So to the back room staff to assist him,are they good enough,and do we need some outside experience to come in alongside Monk? To me,Curtis is not a strong enough character,and seems happy to stay in the shadow of whoever's in charge.
Like post
Like this post
07 May 2014 19:26 Post ID: #126239 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Evans (Micky)

So Clotet is to continue as assistant alongside Garry who has signed a three year deal, we have not had confirmation of the other permanent back room staff yet but I do hope we are looking to recruit more competent coaches than O'Leary and Tucker both of whom appear to be well in with the board despite their complete lack of experience at top level.

I really do hope that it works out for us, this is such a vital appointment as I do believe we need strong leadership next season when the money each prem club receives is huge. Jenkins must be willing to use the funds available to strengthen where necessary, he said that he struggled to come to terms with paying £12 mill for Bony but it is obvious how vital that signing was to our survival. I have not been happy with the millions of pounds in dividends being paid in recent times to directors and if it is revealed that those on the board have received another hefty sum instead of the money being given to Garry for strengthening I won't be the only one demanding an explanation.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 7/5/2014 19:30
Like post
Like this post
08 May 2014 09:58 Post ID: #126245 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Fabianski (Lukasz) - Arsenal/Poland
GM's appointment was an unanimous decision by the board,meaning our supporters director voted in favour,on our behalf,as well.
I don't think we'll ever see another 12 mill player bought again,but we must be forever grateful that Bony came instead of the 8.5 mill Norwich dud Ricky van Wolfswinkel,as without Bony's goals we'd be playing in the Championship next season.
Like post
Like this post
08 May 2014 14:26 Post ID: #126252 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Gary Mabbett

So Bony was the recipient of four awards last night whilst the travel club voted Leon away player of the season for his consistent performances and Ben once again won young player of the year. Would be good if another one or two of our youngsters made the breakthrough next season and am sure the board would be delighted if we could save some money on transfer fees by bringing through more young talent.
Like post
Like this post
09 May 2014 09:15 Post ID: #126256 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Haberecht (Christian),Gentofte,Denmark
Perhaps we would have been more interested if the Awards Dinner had been open to the genuine fans,not just the club staff,hangers on,and corporate. It seems as if the club has got it's priorities wrong and has already forgotten who it's core support is,us fans,without whom the club would be nothing.
Like post
Like this post
09 May 2014 20:56 Post ID: #126262 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Ivor Allchurch

Good to see the club recognise the voluntary work done by Gwyn and Heather much of it done behind the scenes at our club, their life time achievement award was richly deserved along with Sue Eames our kit lady who continues to keep everything ticking along with the help these days of her son Michael.

Talking about our kit I would have thought that the club would have learned from last year that they need to get their new stock in for next season early so as to catch the summer trade with fans wanting to buy our new shirts etc to take on holiday. However seems they are still trying to sell off a large amount of this seasons shirts at bargain prices partly because we missed our chance to sell them last June because of supply problems from Adidas and also because of the loan of Ki to Sunderland which must have severely restricted demand.
Like post
Like this post
10 May 2014 09:07 Post ID: #126268 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Jaakkola (Anssi),Kilmarnock/Finland
Regarding Ben being voted YPOTY,it's ironic then that a Sunderland review of our match comes up with this -
"Exploit the fullbacks - Chico Flores is expected to be back and partner the ever impressive Ashley Williams in defence and I’d fancy either of those to get the better of Connor Wickham (or Jozy Altidore) in the air. I can’t say the same for Swansea’s full backs who are evidentially the weakest part of their defence. Referring most specifically to Ben Davis (who has a poor tackle success rate of 42% and has won just 39% of aerial duels), I think if we encourage our centre forward to work the lines a little more than usual it would drag their defensive line out of shape and allow our direct wingers to take advantage of the inevitable space."
And another article -
"Swansea are currently the ninth highest scorers in the Premier League this term.The eight teams above them are the top eight in the league table.The problem for Swansea has been that if the trip to Sunderland is to reflect their whole campaign, they will concede a few goals too."
So,nothing wrong up front then,but our defence will need strengthening this summer. Really Taylor needed to play more games in the second half of the season to relieve both our full backs,who have both looked jaded recently through too many games.

Like post
Like this post
10 May 2014 10:31 Post ID: #126273 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Keith Todd

If Tiendali is preferred to Neil at right back tomorrow I reckon the North Walian will be looking for a move away in the summer which would be to our detriment. Am not sure why Ben has not been rested of late because his performances have been jaded and full of mistakes, Garry needs to use his head and pick players on form and unless Neil is struggling fitness wise he should be playing either at left or right back at the Stadium of Light.

Nathan is another player that has been overlooked of late because of our change in formation but I'd like to see us revert back to two wide wingers using pace to create changes for our front men, Nathan also is good at tracking back and helps cover our full back on times so would like to see him back in the starting line up tomorrow.

It has been a long eventful season with both highs and lows but it would be so good to finish off tomorrow with a positive result especially for our away support which has backed the team throughout this campaign.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 10/5/2014 10:33
Like post
Like this post
12 May 2014 09:33 Post ID: #126284 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
La Penta (Stefan),FC Balzer,Liechtenstein
As it turned out,Taylor was captain for the day,playing at left back,Tiendalli in at right back,all I assume due to Ben's broken toe as reported in the Western Mail.Ben is now doubtful for Holland v Wales friendly on June 4th.Tiendalli was injured later in the game and Ben did come on at left back with Taylor moving over to the right back position. I hope Taylor stays,I rate him highly. I know he let Borini slip through for the goal,but otherwise a solid display on both flanks,even overlapping to effect. I was surprised that Borini celebrated scoring against us,has he already forgotten that we resurrected his career when he was on loan with us?
Like post
Like this post
12 May 2014 13:45 Post ID: #126289 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Mark Allbrighton

Borini loves scoring whoever it is for and guess being his last game for Sunderland he felt he owed them the celebration though it was slightly muted but as you say felt a little sad that he seemed to look up at us when he did it. Certainly wouldn't mind seeing him again in a white shirt for us although have to say thought marvellous Marvin did a great job yesterday with his pace and movement and took his goal superbly, am hopeful that he will be signed up for us before next season even if it is only in a cover role.

Was slightly anxious when I saw the starting line up though thinking about it our manager didn't have much choice with several of our first team defenders nursing injuries though was somewhat surprised Vorm wasn't even in the squad and we had Cornell named as second keeper. Maybe his lack of effort in recent weeks was a telling factor, it gave our German a rare chance to show his worth and although Tremmel was a little hesitant at times and lacked understanding with his rookie back four he did an adequate job. Can see there are likely to be changes there in goal before the start of next season however.

Glad Kyle Bartley had a run out along with Amat, both did ok I thought and good to see Neil slotting in well and then reverting to right back equally as efficiently. He is one we should really be keeping but if he is not going to get regularly in the first team then can understand his desire to move on. Good to see us with the two wingers causing big problems for a tired looking Sunderland side and have to heap more praise on our player of the year who dominated the game and impressed many in the home stand with his strength power and ability. I pray we can keep hold of him for next season but wish him well as he travels to Brazil to represent his country, guess Drogba might find it hard to keep ahead of him as their main striker.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 12/5/2014 13:48
Like post
Like this post
13 May 2014 10:10 Post ID: #126297 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Nacho Insa,Antalyaspor,Turkey
We didn't mention Chris Foy,who managed to give his usual countless free kicks in their favour.
To beat Sunderland at home with their superb form, was a huge achievement,something Chelsea and Man Utd couldn't do on their own patch,and even the league winners Man City only scraped a draw in injury time at home recently.
Marvellous Marvin has told Boro he wants to come to Swansea,only one year left on his contract,so they have to put a realistic price on him.
Bony says he wants to stay,but it will mean nothing if a big club come calling,we don't keep players who want to go,so mixed feelings on him doing well in the World Cup.
Like post
Like this post
13 May 2014 16:51 Post ID: #126302 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Owen Hargreaves

So we wave a fond goodbye (or not) to Lita, N'Gog, Lamah and Vasquez all of whom should never have been signed in my opinion but there are always going to be poor signings as well as the good ones. Evening post says that Wilf wants to stay (fingers crossed) and that Jenkins is hoping to talk to De Guzman and Emnes which is no real surprise, I'd be happy to see Marvin return but am wary of Jonathan coming back as I feel we could do better than him, someone who can give us more goals and a bit more effort on times.

As for Foy he really excelled himself booking Amat for a perfectly timed challenge on Borini, he gets swayed so easily by the crowd but at least didn't do anything majorly wrong this time.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 13/5/2014 16:53
Like post
Like this post
14 May 2014 10:02 Post ID: #126312 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Pabon (Dorian),Valencia/Columbia
N'Gog/Emnes were panic signings by HJ during our injury crisis when ML said he didn't want Holtby and Chadli on loan from Spurs then changed his mind when it was too late. N'Gog,on 30k a week,being a very expensive waste of space,as we were pre-warned by Bolton fans. We were also pre-warned about Emnes by their fans,he was just going through the motions at Boro,luckily he came good here,but will it last,looks great so far.
Bony will be gone if a big enough offer comes along,we'll soon see. We'll still have Michu if he can sort his head out and get back to how he was,nobody will want to buy him as he is at the moment,and he's blown his world cup chances too.
I was hoping during the match that Shelvey would sort Foy out once again,but no such luck,and we had to endure his endless free kicks against us,and puzzling bookings.
Like post
Like this post
14 May 2014 16:17 Post ID: #126317 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Quentin Fortune

I read what a Boro fan thought about Emnes, he would happily drive him down to us which seems to suggest that our Marvin hasn't been happy up there since returning from his first loan spell a few years back. Sometimes a player is suited to a certain team and since he rejoined us for his second loan spell he seems to have flourished and certainly did aid our cause with his determined and pacey attacking style. Would be worth taking a risk to sign him maybe on a 2 year contract if the asking price is reasonable, can't see Jenkins being prepared to pay over the odds with just one year left on his current deal.

It's a crying shame for Michu and ourselves that he has had such a wretched season as it was a big loss for us in terms of having another prolific goalscorer alongside Bony plus scuppered any chance of him making it into the World Cup in Brazil. I still rate him very highly and can only hope that his ankle problems will heal with rest over the summer. If Garry can reassure him that he is very much part of his plans for next season then this may help him emotionally as well as physically, we all want to see him back to his best and scoring again at the Liberty.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 14/5/2014 16:20
Like post
Like this post
15 May 2014 09:22 Post ID: #126324 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Raadik (Pille),Estonia WOCO
Boro have already ripped us off once with Lita at 1.75 million,so I imagine HJ will be very wary of their overpriced players.
HJ has revealed his ideas for next season -
"We have talked about having a similar size of squad, with 20 to 22 players.Obviously that will require a lot of work to change things round, to get those extra bodies in and move a few out.Without going into detail, I think the general consensus is that the squad needs a shake-up.With the new management in place, there needs to be new motivation in the squad, and we all need to be going forward in a slightly different way next year.We need to make sure we achieve that by getting the right mixture in the squad."
Squad shake up,new motivation,extra bodies in,moving a few out,I think it's going to be a very interesting close season.
Like post
Like this post
26 May 2014 00:24 Post ID: #126344 - in reply to #123990
Ivor Allchurch
Shelvey (Jonjo)

Plenty of possible transfer targets mentioned for the Swans but expect most are just pure speculation, not actually sure if the window has opened yet as there seems to have been no activity from our club at least. Wasn't able to get much info whilst I was away as I struggled to find any free wifi on my phone apart from at a McDonalds restaurant in the resort, was unsure why my data allowance didn't appear to be working abroad but with it being a quiet period it didn't really matter anyway. Did read that we've arranged some pre season friendlies all of which are away from home, wonder if we will get any at all at the Liberty before the start of the new season.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (31): « First ... 17 18 19
21 22 23 ... Last »
Jump to forum: