Swansea City Forum - Football Clubs Worldwide
Vital Football

Latest Swansea City News

Welcome to the Swansea City A.F.C. Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: "If things don't change, then they'll stay the same." Eurosport snooker commentator
- (Added by: KevinE)
Current Poll (see more polls)
What will the result be vs Bournemouth?
Suggested By:
Swansea City win34%
Draw16%
Bournemouth win50%
Vital Football Comment
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.Phil W15
2.Dennis Downing7
3.KevinE4
4.gorky271
5.jonno11
6.GThomas1
7.david1
Write for Vital Football
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (30): « First 1 2
4 5 6 ... Last »
Football Clubs Worldwide
29 October 2013 08:22 Post ID: #124328 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Osasuna FC,Spain
At least we've got a week's break this week,so we'll be on even terms for the Cardiff match,instead of recovering from an exhausting away fixture in the Europa League.
Didn't think much of the documentry on the Swans Cardiff rivalry,last night. They seemed to concentrate too much on the hooliganism in the eighties,rather than anything positive.
The danger in these derbies,is getting a player sent off,or conceding a penalty.We have to be careful that the players channel their enthusiasm in the right way. I have no doubt that Mike Dean would relish sending one of our players off.

Old Trafford controversy - In 2010, Dean was appointed to officiate a fixture at Old Trafford between Manchester United and Chelsea on 3 April, a game which was dubbed a potential Premier League "title decider" in the build-up. Chelsea won the match 2-1.Dean, along with his assistants Simon Beck and Stephen Child, were criticised in the media for turning down up to four penalty appeals, three for Manchester United and one for Chelsea. Didier Drogba scored Chelsea's second goal to give them a 2-0 lead, despite video replays appearing to show he was offside when the ball was played to him. Towards the end of the game, Dean allowed a Manchester United goal to stand when Federico Macheda appeared to bundle the ball over the goal-line with his hands. United manager Alex Ferguson was among those who criticised Dean's performance.Ferguson said he was "worried" when Dean was appointed to the game after the official had been in the media spotlight over controversial decisions he made in a Burnley-Blackburn Rovers match the week before. Burnley manager Brian Laws described the assignment of Dean to the Old Trafford game as "mad".

Coin-throwing incident -
Dean receives treatment after being struck by a coin during a South Wales derby.On 5 April 2009 in a South Wales derby between Cardiff City and Swansea City, Dean suffered a cut to the forehead resulting from what appeared to be a coin thrown by a Cardiff supporter. He later awarded Cardiff a debatable penalty kick, which was converted to earn a draw for the home side. Cardiff's chairman Peter Ridsdale condemned the attack and said that the supporter would be given a lifelong ban if found guilty. A 24-year-old Pontypridd man was later convicted over the incident and given a three-year ban and £200 fine. No action was taken by the Football Association of Wales against Cardiff City

Edited by keith margam 29/10/2013 08:38
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
29 October 2013 21:06 Post ID: #124337 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Portsmouth FC

We know all about Dean and have made my feeling known on the main board, the man is beneath contempt in my eyes with his egotistical manner and poor decision making. I'd love him to prove me wrong on Sunday but my head tells me that the result will probably hinge on his decisions instead of the actions of skillful players. We'll see.
Like post
Like this post
30 October 2013 09:57 Post ID: #124345 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Qabala,Azerbaijan
Hopefully we will not be talking about the ref again after the game,instead enjoying a win and a showpiece match.
I'm hoping that the return of Ash and Pablo will swing the match our way. Thinking of the midfield,we cannot risk the erratic Shelvey,he's just as likely to give a goal away as score.Guzman on the other hand,for all his skill,will not tackle. Ki was the same,very skilled but reluctant to tackle much,although I think he should still be here giving us the option of playing him,as we've been exposed in midfield lately,and not creating enough.Routledge is a shadow of the player he was last season,since he's signed a new contract and found the delights of Wind Street.Dyer needs an end product for all his undoubted skill and commitment.
Like post
Like this post
30 October 2013 17:46 Post ID: #124349 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Rotherham United

So many different factors to this match, Cardiff will be under some pressure by their fans to take the initiative when it is not their natural game whilst we will want to have our usual lions share of possession. Could turn into a stalemate on the other hand if there is an early goal it could open the game up....we seem to be slow starters these days and have not been firing on all cylinders but with the return of Pablo and Ash against West Ham we did look stronger as the game progressed. Will need all of them to be completely focused and make no rash judgements, Leon has to play especially as Canas has had a confrontation with the Cardiff opposite number whilst they were both playing in La Liga. Shame Ben isn't available as we have been relying on him for not only for his defensive qualities but also in attack, Neil is not quite up to the same level but will not let us down I'm sure.
Like post
Like this post
31 October 2013 09:48 Post ID: #124356 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Sorrento FC,Italy
"Ben Davies looks like the only definite absentee, though the left-back has a chance of returning next week after his ankle injury proved less serious than initially feared" - good news!
"Jonjo Shelvey hopes to recover from a hamstring strain having missed out last weekend" - didn't know he was injured?
"Everybody can see we're nowhere near our best." - HJ yesterday
My ticket didn't arrive,sent second class,surely not? Post here doesn't come until about 1:30pm,very frustrating,that used to be the time of the second post of the day years ago. I don't know why they've made such a big deal of sending out tickets for this particular match,and so late too.
Like post
Like this post
31 October 2013 14:39 Post ID: #124360 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Tenby United FC

Bus ticket came this morning along with a letter explaining about colour coded buses and parking in the North Stand. Its like a military organisation but important to get it right with the eyes of the world watching both sets of fans, just hope there is no trouble but the police must watch out for coin throwers as we were targeted in the ground last time.

The match itself is of most concern of course, cool heads will be required especially from those who have not experienced the derby atmosphere before such as Chico and especially Michu who at times can be confrontational because of his deep rooted desire to win. Hope Garry Monk and Ash will impress on them all the need to walk away when provoked as we must try to keep all our players on the field for 90 minutes otherwise it will be doubly difficult especially with Dean in charge who will be quite happy to dish out cards.
Like post
Like this post
01 November 2013 09:20 Post ID: #124373 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
U Cluj Napoca,Romania
I remember being worried about flying objects the last time we played there,maybe they need to issue us with safety helmets and glasses then. I'm sure the security cameras wil be monitoring the fans closely for trouble makers.
It's only the second away ground that I've seen bar staff walking amongst the fans serving draught beer from backpacks,a good idea,it's certainly eases congestion to get served.
A red card for either side would spoil the game,trouble is we've got an egotistical ref who will not hesitate to show one. Namely the infamous Mike Dean,who is disliked by Swans fans everywhere for the sending off of Neil Taylor in the second minute at Forest in the Championship play off semis.
Like post
Like this post
01 November 2013 19:35 Post ID: #124380 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Verona

Last time we played at Ninian Park when our buses were actually parked up at their new stadium I got hit by a stone thrown from a good distance away as I was walking back into the car park so am always wary of that place and some of their fans who still cause consternation to police and stewards around the country.

As for the match the news of Pablo possibly being out injured yet again is most disappointing, the lad has barely figured for us this season so frustrating as he did make a difference when he made a sub appearance last weekend. Maybe he needs to do more warm up exercises before he trains, something has to be done to try and keep him off the treatment table.

Like post
Like this post
02 November 2013 09:11 Post ID: #124385 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Qarabag FC, Azerbaijan
Oh,that's dangerous,was it reported,what crazy fans they've got. Maybe taking a safety helmet and glasses was not such a bad idea after all then.
We've had trouble with players not warming up properly before,remember Paul Anderson and his need for prolonged warm ups. The continentals used to have exercise bikes at the dugout,which I haven't seen lately,what a good idea though.

Edited by keith margam 2/11/2013 09:15
Like post
Like this post
02 November 2013 18:15 Post ID: #124394 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Reading FC

This was back in 2009 when we were held back in Ninian Park after the game but then told to make our way across Ninian Park Road to the buses and the stones starting raining over towards us as we got into the car park. A lone policeman saw what was happening so he went off looking for the perpetrators but whether they got caught I'll never know. Think the police are much better organised these days but it is still hard for them to immediately pick out coin throwers inside the stadium, there is an element who continue to be bent on violence and they don't care who they hit whether it is men, women or children. Will be wearing a hat for sure as well as glasses for seeing the action, they will double up as eye protectors.

As for the game, who knows what will happen as derbies are so unpredictable but our players will know how much we are relying on them for 100% effort and commitment so let the battle commence....

Edited by Swan_Lady2 2/11/2013 21:11
Like post
Like this post
03 November 2013 09:00 Post ID: #124398 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Salamina FC, Greece
Let's hope there's no incidents today,as a worldwide audience watches on.
The wind is still blowing,and yesterday it was really bad,as long as it doesn't influence the match. Did you see that goal on MOTD,Stoke goalkeeper Begovic kicked out from goal after 13 seconds,and it carried with the wind over Southampton's goalkeeper Boruc and into the net,a 97 yard kick!
Like post
Like this post
04 November 2013 09:18 Post ID: #124402 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Talgrig FC, Armenia
All 220 countries worldwide saw us produce one of our worst football displays since our promotion to the PL. No pride,no passion,Cardiff wanted it a lot more than us,and second half outplayed us. They inevitably scored,and with a free header in the 62nd minute,ironically from ex-Swan Caulker, and showed us how to shut up shop when ahead with a gritty display. We were pretty clueless and disjointed,our fluid passing game of last season is somehow missing. A weak midfield display from Routledge,Dyer,Guzman,and Shelvey,meant that Michu was feeding off scraps,and mystifyingly it was Britton who was subbed,and not one of the others. Michu was limping around for 20 mins before falling to the ground in pain and was still on the sidelines getting treatment instead of being subbed,what was all that about.
ML was laid back as usual,and his team reflected that attitude. He didn't leave his seat throughout the game,whereas Mackay stood on the touchline and fired his team on in the pouring rain. Some of our players need to take a hard look at themselves this week and prove their commitment to our club.
There is trouble in the camp. HJ is not a happy man,even before this match,and if you read the article in The Guardian it explains why. Here are some quotes -
"We have to make sure whoever comes in to manage, coach and play for us in the future, they can't be talking about different levels of leagues within a league. To me, that is complete failure."
"When I hear some of our players and staff talking [about getting to 40 points] now it really upsets me that they can actually think like that, because you are more or less conceding a third of the games you play in before you start. I find that the hardest thing to take, that we have actually got staff and players that struggle at this point in time to see where we can compete."
"I don't know [why it has happened]. But I've sensed it this season more than ever. We generally tend to talk about things, for me, in the wrong way. We don't see every game as a winnable game, which is not right and it's not our mentality."

Edited by keith margam 4/11/2013 09:55
Like post
Like this post
04 November 2013 17:15 Post ID: #124411 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Udinese

Have to agree with Jenkins there, why can't we compete with all the other teams in the prem as we are capable of winning every game, defeatist talk before we even play against the "bigger" ones doesn't help our cause.
Like post
Like this post
05 November 2013 08:46 Post ID: #124426 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Vekakameratene FC,Norway
Well we've lost to all the top teams so far,except for Liverpool,a game which we should have won. We are not playing our quick and incisive passing game any more,why has ML changed the system. There's no width to our play unless the full backs overlap,with the wingers congesting the middle of the park. Rangel and Dyer combine well,but Taylor is reluctant to come forward,and Routledge is so poor this season.
Instead of winning the last two games,as most expected,we've gained one point from a possible six,and are now amongst the relegation candidates,so we have to turn it around quickly. Instead of sorting ourselves out this week in training,there's no time,we're off to Russia to play a tough stamina sapping match with a squad that is too weak to compete in both leagues.
One poster on another forum pointed out that our dip in form since last Feb coincided with our new assistant manager Morten Wieghorst arriving,never thought of that.Is he responsible for the change in the way we play?
Like post
Like this post
05 November 2013 15:27 Post ID: #124432 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Walsall FC

It is a possibility that this new guy Wieghorst has been instrumental in the changes which are not for the better as we know, it has become apparent that our style is less fluid and attractive than it was last season. It is starting to become a real problem as players like Nathan and Wayne who would normally cause problems for the opposition are being stifled and appear to be lacking in ideas which should be coming from the training ground. Even Michu has looked subdued and with him and Pablo out through injury it is a real worry who will be scoring for us in the next few games.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 5/11/2013 15:28
Like post
Like this post
06 November 2013 11:27 Post ID: #124446 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Xanthi FC, Greece
Pablo still out and will be re-assessed after the international break,that'll be nearly 3 months out injured. Another one with fragile legs,I thought Beattie was bad enough. I wonder what his injury record was with Valencia,perhaps that's why they were eager to sell him.
ML is complaining about the Xmas fixtures,two away games within 48 hours,yet as he points out games are changed to Sundays when we are playing on Thursdays.
Like post
Like this post
07 November 2013 00:29 Post ID: #124454 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Young Boys of Berne

We've had this fixture overload at Christmas for years but with us in Europe this season it could be a real problem as players suffer from fatigue over the festive season. Think this is the reason why Michu has struggled of late, we now find he has been having knee problems before his ankle injury on Sunday, can't understand why he wasn't rested when our management knew this as his performances have definitely suffered in recent weeks.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (30): « First 1 2
4 5 6 ... Last »
Jump to forum: