Swansea City Forum - Football Clubs Worldwide
Vital Football

Latest Swansea City News

Welcome to the Swansea City A.F.C. Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: Interviewer: 'Would it be fair to describe you as a volatile player?'
- (Added by: sbrjack)
Current Poll (see more polls)
What will the result be vs Bournemouth?
Suggested By:
Swansea City win20%
Draw20%
Bournemouth win60%
Vital Football Comment
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.Phil W15
2.Dennis Downing7
3.KevinE4
4.gorky271
5.jonno11
6.GThomas1
7.david1
Write for Vital Football
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (30): « First ... 16 17 18
20 21 22 ... Last »
Football Clubs Worldwide
29 April 2014 10:34 Post ID: #126141 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
QPR
We are now sure of embarking on our fourth season in the top flight.The big job is to consolidate and establish ourselves for the long term.To do this we have to review and strengthen,and move on the weaker players.
First though the managers job needs sorting out. Today's Press are saying HJ and the Board will make a decision before the last game of the season,which is a week next Sunday. If it's Monk,he will know exactly what players he wants to stay and who he wants to bring in to strengthen the team. If it's a new face as manager then he starts from square one,and with no matches left to assess the squad,he will have to rely on Monk and the existing backroom staff to guide him. Problem is he may want to bring in his own staff,so where does this leave Monk and Curtis et al?
A bit of a conundrum for HJ,I don't envy him in this task,the future of our club depends on it,and what a tough one to call.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
29 April 2014 15:37 Post ID: #126146 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Rochdale FC

Yes think there is division amongst our fans as to whether Garry should take permanent control, I've mixed feelings as I do like him and what he has been trying to do in the short time he has been in charge. However I have my reservations as to whether he is ready yet to take on this mamouth task permanently without someone of experience to help him out with tactics and strategies. Even on Saturday I was doubting his decision not to make subs when we looked at one stage likely to concede again to Villa, he has not yet completed his necessary badges anyway and it's a lot to ask for him to do this whilst a full time manager and the father of three very young children.

Jenkins and the board are going to take their time over the next week or so to think over this vital decision which is no bad thing, I have no doubt that Garry will have a role within the club whatever happens so maybe different options could be put to him first before the rest of us are informed. Heard that Ash would probably stay if his friend was appointed permanently but that should not really be used as a marker by the board, our captain is not totally indispensable but I would prefer him to stay on as he adds stability to the playing staff.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 29/4/2014 15:39
Like post
Like this post
30 April 2014 09:37 Post ID: #126153 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
(CE) Sacalma Blues, Andorra
Monk for me,unless it's a big name they have in mind. Yet many have been tried in the PL and failed,so whoever it is will be a gamble.If we can win the next two games Monk will be favourite,lose and he'll drop down the pecking order.
Taylor has a chance to shine at last in the right back position,he should take the opportunity. I don't want him to go as he's a good defender. Not sure why Monk hasn't been giving him game time.
Like post
Like this post
30 April 2014 15:48 Post ID: #126158 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Tottenham Hotspur

Some of Garry's decisions regarding the match days squads has left many scratching their heads particularly as we have seen Lita, N'Gog and Vasquez regularly been given an opportunity when maybe it would have been wiser to use others with more quality. Maybe clauses in loan contracts have necessitated the inclusion of some of these players as I can't see any other reason, I know Lita is not on loan but he is not even championship level these days and hopefully will be one of the first shown the door next month.

The young 20 year old Fulton must have shown up well in training to have been included in the last couple of match day squads and then given his chance to come on on Saturday. He has played over 100 first team games for Falkirk before he came to us so must be used to playing against men in the rough and tough world of Scottish league football, didn't see much of him against Villa but am optimistic that he can break through like Ben and become a future Swans star.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 30/4/2014 15:52
Like post
Like this post
01 May 2014 10:46 Post ID: #126163 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Ujpest FC, Hungary
If we lose the next two matches,then Monk will feel the backlash,win and he'll be a hero.
Agree about the subs,and the mystery surrounding Canas and Pozuelo, preferring to use Vasquez and Lita instead. Why is there always a veil of secrecy and lack of information from our club?
With the 1.2 mil per league place on offer,we need to finish as high as we can,huge money lost if we relax and lose the next two games.
I hope young Taylor gets his chance at right back,he could save us a lot of money as replacement/back up for the ageing Rangel.
Fulton seemed a bit overawed when he came on as sub,which is to be expected,a few more run outs and he'll be fine. Like you say he must have impressed to be promoted from the under 21's.
Like post
Like this post
01 May 2014 12:03 Post ID: #126167 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Valencia

I do think the club are waiting to see how Garry gets on against the Saints and also possibly Sunderland before making their final decision on his position within the club, it will be a big test on Saturday as Southampton are one of the better sides in the division and play with a very potent attacking formation. Do remember that the home side were lucky to win the first meeting against us at St Mary's however, we missed chances and they took theirs which has been a problem we've had all season though of late we have been more clinical particularly in our last game against Villa.

If I'm right I do believe the players share the extra revenue between them for their final placement in the division so that should be an incentive though to be honest they earn an amazing amount of money without any bonuses on top. Would love us to finish with over 40 points but these last two games are going to be anything but easy and I'm just grateful that we are not going into them needing points for survival.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 1/5/2014 12:08
Like post
Like this post
02 May 2014 09:29 Post ID: #126172 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
(FC)Wacker Innesbruck,Austria)
Reports say the Board are meeting over the weekend or Monday,after HJ interviewed GM this week.
Two tough matches,but we are well capable of winning both on our day,depending on whether we show the same determination as we did in the last two wins.
It's a lot of money to share,and keeps on going up each season.I thought the players already had a win bonus scheme.with league place bonus as well it's a huge amount.
We're being linked with a few players.Midfielder Mark Davies of Bolton for 3mill,he's been out with a serious knee injury,so another crock.Valencienne.s 26 year old French forward Mathieu Dossevi,on a free transfer,10 goals in 82 matches,not very impressive.
Like post
Like this post
02 May 2014 16:14 Post ID: #126176 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
X....

(Hayes &) Yeading FC

Last season we lost our final home game 3-0 to Fulham, an unexpected result that did spoil the end of season feel good factor and also the lap of honour was watched by a half empty stadium as many of our fans had left before the end. A win tomorrow would be a great way to end what has been a difficult season and would probably be enough to secure Garry his permanent managerial post, the players will need to be focused however if they want to finish their final home game on a high as the Saints are a very good side.

Reading the official site they are asking for people to arrive early, around 15 mins before kick off so that some sort of display can be put on at the Liberty by our fans for the players, the Saints fans have masks of their players to wear tomorrow so we don't want to be outdone apparently.

Like post
Like this post
03 May 2014 09:12 Post ID: #126180 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
ZFK Kochani,Macedonia
Will it be cards for each seat that we hold up,or maybe masks,we wait with bated breath to see what's in store.
Yes,the end of season went flat with that defeat to Fulham,so another reason for the players to get the win today,besides their bonus and personal pride.
I hope Monk doesn't juggle with the team just to give players game time. Southampton can afford to do that as their league placing is unassailable,whereas we can end up anywhere between 10th and 15th.
Like post
Like this post
03 May 2014 11:27 Post ID: #126185 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Arbroath

Always feel a little sad when we reach our last home game of the season though for a change we have the long trek back up north to Sunderland to finally end our season on what might be a momentus day for the Black Cats. I'm hoping that we don't have to go there with Sunderland needing a win to send Cardiff down, maybe Newcastle will do the business today though apparently their fans are planning a 69th minute walk out during the game against our neighbours in protest at the lack of ambition by their chairman and manager.

As for our game today I'm a little apprehensive as usual against a side that has a very good attacking record but we have improved in that department of late ourselves and should have confidence to match them infront of an expectant and vociferous home crowd. Garry will soon know his fate and we have to say well done and thank you to him for all his efforts so far, he has sacrificed a lot since taking over and risked the chance of losing everything if it had all gone wrong to help the club we know he has great affection for.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 3/5/2014 11:31
Like post
Like this post
04 May 2014 09:12 Post ID: #126198 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Baku Fire FC,Azerbaijan
Huge disappointment yesterday then,as the Swansea Way passing game went out the window,and Southampton taught us a footballing lesson with 62% possession and 18 shots on goal. We spent most of the match chasing shadows,with half the team disinterested and the other half struggling to cope. Ironically we could have won it,with Bony,Pablo,and Guzman squandering good chances.
Poor defending undone us right at the end,as William's mis-hit clearance was bundled into the net off Lambert's shoulder,with Vorm stood statuesque like on the line.
More strange team selections from Monk,with the inept Tiendalli yet again preferred to Taylor,and Chico missing with a cut on his toe,and declaring himself unfit to play? Is there an issue with the Spanish contingent?
Vorm,who is completely out of form since his injury comeback,was once again preferred to Tremmel.
So a repeat of last season and again a hugely disappointing last home game. I just couldn't watch the embarassing player parade afterwards,preferring to wallow in self pity propping up the bar .
Like post
Like this post
04 May 2014 14:18 Post ID: #126203 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Charlton Athletic

The one bright spot was the demise of our neighbours who were so full of bravado at the start of the season, however I am worried that we may land up following them down in a years time particularly with all that seems to be going on off the field at the Liberty. We need stability and good leadership which has been our remit since our admittance into premier league, we can't allow all that we have worked for go to waste by poor decision making at board and management level.

Like post
Like this post
05 May 2014 10:40 Post ID: #126213 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
(FC)Donchanka,Russia
Now that it looks like GM has got the job full time,his first task after Sunday will be the retained list.
Here's my list,and it's a big clear out for me.
Out -
Tremmel, Richards, Tiendalli, Lamah, Pozuelo, Vasquez, Ngog, Lita, Donnelly, Canas, Cornell, Tate

In -
Vorm, Amat, Taylor, Williams, Flores, Britton, Shelvey, Michu, Bony, Hernandez, Dyer, Routledge, Guzman, Rangel, Bartley, Emnes, (Davies - 21 last month,so will need to be registered as part of first team squad), (Fulton - 20 last month,so still under 21 & no need to be registered as part of first team squad)
So 5 vacant slots to fill for the 22 man squad.

I was wrong on Emnes contract,he still has a year to run at Boro,according to this -
BBC 4/8/11
"Middlesbrough winger Marvin Emnes has signed a three-year extension to his contract, which was due to expire at the end of the season."
So if we want him,we will need to pay a transfer fee.

Like post
Like this post
05 May 2014 13:25 Post ID: #126214 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Everton

Agree with the majority of your exits...but please don't forget Lita whose contract expires this summer anyway. I'd be inclined not to sign De Guzman unless it's for a small fee which is unlikely, a very inconsistent and frustrating player to have in your side. Am sure there are better options than him who would enhance our squad.
Like post
Like this post
06 May 2014 08:57 Post ID: #126223 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
FC Neunkirch,Switzerland
Lita was on my out list,but as you say his contract is up anyway, £1.75 million down the drain for 2 goals in 18 games over 3 years,shocking.
Guzman is a skillful player and can be a match winner,but he won't tackle,and drifts in and out of games,so as you say depending on the fee.
Shelvey the same,an erratic player,who often passes the ball straight to the opposition,then other times gives a defence splitting pass for a goal,or a spectacular volley like against Villa.
Like post
Like this post
06 May 2014 12:06 Post ID: #126227 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Gillingham

Watched the Palace v Liverpool game last night and what a fight back by the home side backed by their terrific fans. Had to smile at Rodgers face when the equaliser went in, Pulis made his attacking substitutions and it worked a treat and they could have actually won it in the end as Liverpool fell apart at the back. We know Liverpool have some star players but they also have some pretty poor defenders who I expect will be shown the door in the summer, be interesting to see who they bring in for the new season when the expectations from their fans will be much greater than before.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 6/5/2014 12:08
Like post
Like this post
07 May 2014 10:32 Post ID: #126234 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Hamm Benfica,Luxemburg
Yes,their defence needs sorting,strange saying that for a top of the table team. It was an entertaining match for the neutral though.
Some big decisions coming up regarding our team too,and it will be an interesting summer to see who's in and out.
There's also the World Cup to look forward too,and with some of our players participating,we need to be very proud of that.
Otherwise,it's always an odd feeling at season's end,and we can only hope that the players give one final push to get us away fans a result at Sunderland and go out on a high note.
Are some of our players afraid of getting injured in case they miss out on the World Cup? Certainly not Bony,who always gives us 100%.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (30): « First ... 16 17 18
20 21 22 ... Last »
Jump to forum: