Swansea City Forum - Football Clubs Worldwide
Vital Football

Latest Swansea City News

Welcome to the Swansea City A.F.C. Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: David Beckham: "My parents have always been there for me, ever since I was about 7"
- (Added by: KevinE)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Vote for your man of the match vs Burnley
Suggested By:
Fabianski46%
Naughton0%
Fernandez0%
Mawson0%
Olsson0%
Fer0%
Clucas0%
Sanches24%
Ayew0%
Abraham0%
Dyer17%
Bony13%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.Phil W15
2.Dennis Downing7
3.KevinE4
4.gorky271
5.jonno11
6.GThomas1
7.david1
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (30): « First ... 6 7 8
10 11 12 ... Last »
Football Clubs Worldwide
02 January 2014 10:44 Post ID: #125013 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Deagu FC, S.Korea
Great match yesterday,we played very well,and we were unlucky not to get anything. Sound familiar? Many times this season we've said this and got nothing,but now it's crunch time and we have to start picking up points as the gap narrows to 4 points and the dreaded trapdoor. We are down to the bare bones of the squad with Pablo the latest limping off,and Leon missing through illness. I felt sorry for Pablo though,he was crying with frustration yesterday at being injured again.
The first goal conceded wasn't helped by Canas turning away from the shot instead of blocking it,and their other two goals were deflections. The third goal was poor,Routledge lost the ball deep in their half,couldn't be bothered to try and recover it,and let their full back Kolarov run down almost the length of the pitch right side unimpeded,with Rangel caught napping up front,and huffing and puffing trailing behind,and trying to catch up with him. Chico was in two minds who to mark and ended up marking nobody as the ball flew into the net,the softest goal MC will score all season.
Bony was immense,and besides scoring two,had a great shot tipped over,and two rockets narrowly wide. Our second goal came too late,a few more minutes play and I felt that we could have scored another,not to be,and we came away empty handed and drop to 13th place.
One would think we've got some respite with a break from the league this weekend,but it's a huge cup game and it will be interesting whether we will field a strong side or rest players. With half the squad injured we don't have many options.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
02 January 2014 22:41 Post ID: #125032 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
East Lowthian

Not sure how ML will treat the cup game on Sunday, he does like cup competitions but with our league position starting to cause concern he may decide to give little credence to it this time around. Our injury problems increase every week so the last thing we want is for us to lose another key player at the weekend.
Like post
Like this post
03 January 2014 10:35 Post ID: #125042 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Felda United FC,Malaysia
We are now in the relegation mix,with 3 points gained out of a possible 18,and even our captain is today setting the alarm bells ringing,which is very worrying.
The goals we have been conceding lately,especially at home,have been shocking,and the worst example was the third goal conceded against Man City,where full back Kolarov was allowed to run the length of the field unimpeded to score what turned out to be the winner.
We were warned about the Europa League affecting league form,with Newcastle down near the bottom last season and only rescuing themselves with an injection of several players in the January transfer window. Our squad is not strong enough,we have a big injury crisis,and ML's rotation policy is not working. The sooner we get out of Europe and the FA Cup the better,and concentrate on getting as many points as we can in the league,before it's too late.
I said before we are too naive,with all the tricks these PL teams use to gain advantage. We saw it again on Wednesday,the falling down to get free kicks,the protesting at every decision the ref makes,the fouling to stop us when we break away,etc.
Shelvey was out on his feet second half,but we had nobody capable of replacing him,he's played too many matches in the last few weeks,as have the rest.
Like post
Like this post
03 January 2014 14:48 Post ID: #125048 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Gateshead FC

Trying to put our premier league worries aside for a week however to the majority of our fans the domestic cup competitions this season are just an unwanted distraction. Listening on talk sport this morning the question was asked if Lambert was right to state that his Norwich side were not interested in the cup game at the weekend as their priority was staying in the prem. One Wigan fan said his best times were when his side were fighting for promotion and winning the FA cup last season, seems losing prem status was not a big problem to him. Not sure if I agree, yes it was good to win the League cup last season but would have been very disappointed had we not stayed up, saying that we have only been in the prem a couple of seasons whereas Wigan somehow managed to be up with the elite for several years albeit always facing the threat of relegation.
Like post
Like this post
04 January 2014 09:46 Post ID: #125052 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Hacettepe Spor Kulubu, Turkey
If we put out a weakened team this weekend,a heavy defeat would be demoralising for the squad returning the following week for the league match.
We had a heavy defeat last season at Liverpool,and at Birmingham this season,by fielding weakened teams.
If we field our strongest team and get more injuries we'll be deeper in the mire.
A bit of a conundrum for ML,and I think he'll do as he always does and rotate the squad regardless.
I'm taking a rain check this weekend,saving my money for the league match the following weekend. I've got BT Sport,so will be an avid armchair fan for the day,a rare occurence for me. Not looking forward to the biased views of their pundits though,especially the dulcit tones of MOTD reject Michael Owen.
Like post
Like this post
05 January 2014 11:04 Post ID: #125069 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Independiente,Argentina
It seems like Michael Owen is trying to tone down his biased views with an article highlighted on this site,in which he says he likes our style of play. This comes after his blatantly biased comments the last time BT relayed us live v Newcastle last month. A lot of people contacted BT about it,including myself. I wonder if he'll try and be impartial today,as we go out live on BT again this afternoon,with the opposition being another of his former clubs?
Good luck to our team today,let's hope we can get back to winning ways.
Like post
Like this post
06 January 2014 16:22 Post ID: #125088 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Juventus

Shame you missed the game yesterday Keith as did many of our regular travellers, certainly one which I'll remember albeit a win in the FA cup instead of vital league points. The atmosphere in our small section of the ground was buzzing, we more than held our own on the pitch and as the game progressed I really felt we had a chance to actually win the match. Man U had a fairly strong team on display but seeing Leon there in midfield along with a fairly attack minded set up it did give cause for some optimism and having shown signs of improvement in our play over the last few games we certainly looked capable of an upset the more the game went on.

I am probably one of Mike Dean's biggest critics but have to say was pleasantly surprised that he appeared mostly unbiased though United still tried to use their diving skills to gain free kicks whenever possible. The sending off was totally justified though I was amazed to see the red card for Fabio, maybe had Fergie still be in charge then maybe it might have just been yellow...

Fantastic to see Bony get that late winner, am sure ML didn't fancy a replay with all the games we have lined up, it is good to see our record signing start to show the class some of us knew he had. It does of course mean we have another away cup tie to fit in at some point but the confidence gained from the win yesterday will surely aid us in the future. If we could get anything from our second encounter with the Red Devils on Saturday it would be a great achievement, they no doubt will be looking for revenge but have a Carling cup game themselves this week to concentrate on first.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 6/1/2014 16:23
Like post
Like this post
07 January 2014 10:13 Post ID: #125093 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
KAA Gent, Belgium
Great result,if only we can do the same next week,even a draw would help us to start accumulating some much needed points.
I read that there was a problem with the aggressive stewards there,zero tolerance,throwing fans out for singing racist songs and not sitting down when told,even though Man Utd fans were standing up close by.The bully stewards were reported to the police,but it seems nothing was done,apparently the stewards have got a bit of a reputation. I can't recall them doing anything untoward during my previous visits.
Mike Dean was a big shock,it was a very good and unbiased refereeing display,and then having the guts to rightfully send off a Man Utd player in that cauldron. Could well have been a yellow with Fergie still in charge though.
It must be tough on Moyes,with Fergie watching on every match,even away matches apparently.
Leon MOTM for me,captain for the day as well,what a player.
Like post
Like this post
07 January 2014 12:05 Post ID: #125097 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Lyon FC

Our support was smaller than for last two games we played there so we were in two blocks instead of three. This gave the stewards far more control and they seemed determined to make everyone sit down probably because of previous warnings they have had from the authorities over standing at Old Trafford. However a sizeable section of the home contingent further along the same stand were still allowed to stand throughout the game without interference which certainly seemed unfair to many who were repeatedly told to sit down. It was heavy handed but can also see it from the other point of view with those who can't see with tall people standing infront of them. This happened at Villa in the previous game when a giant was standing in the row infront completely blocking our view to the left...

What can we say about Leon Britton, the guy is a legend in my eyes and still deserves his place in our side as was proved on Sunday. I know some say that he and Canas can't play together but I disagree particularly away from home, they do great work in different areas of the midfield complimenting each other.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 7/1/2014 12:08
Like post
Like this post
08 January 2014 10:11 Post ID: #125105 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Macabi Nederland
I would prefer it if everybody sat down,many times the person in front has blocked my view too. If the ones in front stand up,you have to stand up,then everybody has to stand up.Some stubbornly refuse to sit,so must suffer the consequences.It's even worse for the fans who bring children.
Another defeat last night for the juggernaut that is Man Utd,and I can see the American owners running out of patience soon. We have to capitalise on their disarray and get something on Saturday. We have a bigger injury list than them though,only one fit winger,Routledge,unless Gwion is drafted in,or we could move Rangel up and play Taylor right back.
Like post
Like this post
08 January 2014 15:45 Post ID: #125112 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Neil Ruddock

Reckon we will have to be wary of a backlash from United on Saturday however the longer we can contain them the more frustrated the fans could get... Vidic will be at the heart of their defence and will be interesting to see if Bony gets much change from him compared with Ferdinand.

We could consider playing Ben Davies further forward on the left side ahead of Neil Taylor (who did a good job last Sunday) as he does like to push forward into the area, Ben did struggle for strength and pace against United's Valencia at the Liberty in August so maybe a combination of him and Neil might be the answer. Not sure what other changes United will make on Saturday but as far as the Swans are concerned I would be inclined to play the majority of the team that won on Sunday with the exception of Ash at the heart of our defence and Rangel at right back. I do like Amat and might be inclined to play him in preference to Chico who is not as dynamic as last season and does tend to be a bit rash at times...it must be tough for ML to decide what is best, I'm just glad to be a fan and not the manager.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 8/1/2014 15:50
Like post
Like this post
09 January 2014 10:28 Post ID: #125131 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Obbola IK, Sweden
A backlash is on the cards,so an early goal for us is crucial,an early goal from them though,and we are in trouble.Will the rejuvenated Routledge step up to the plate again or will he retire back into his shell when we need him most? A crucial league match for us,and we have to capitalise on that cup win and get some points on the board.
Some tough choices on who to pick,Taylor looking more solid than Davies at the moment,but less adventurous,and there could be some more juggling at the back,with Chico tending to make one costly mistake in most matches,but otherwise solid.
Like post
Like this post
09 January 2014 13:45 Post ID: #125135 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Peterborough United

Normally you would write off any chance of even a point at Man U but pressure on Moyes and his team this weekend could work in our favour though I must say I am very wary of a backlash as they do still have some excellent players and we could find it very tough to repeat our great win of last weekend particularly with our growing injury list.

With Jenkins unwilling to bid for Ince at this early stage of the transfer window it does appear that we are either not interested or biding our time, either way I would prefer if some action was taken asap to boost our squad with more quality as we are struggling to find enough fit players to compete. We really can't afford to gamble with our prem status and these next couple of months are crucial for our continued survival at this level with important games against teams that are fighting alongside us to avoid the drop.

Like post
Like this post
10 January 2014 10:16 Post ID: #125151 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Quilmes AC,Argentina
I'm very wary too,hopefully Rooney and RVP are still out. The win there last week should have given our players a big confidence boost and they need to show this tomorrow,and not concede early. The longer the game goes on without them scoring the better for us,as their fans will get frustrated.An early goal for us would send their fans into melt down.
The transfer window is very quiet with clubs and agents holding back for the best deal. Trouble is the following three weeks left of the window is also the most crucial time for us,as well as our most vunerable time,with all our top players out injured. I fail to see why we cannot get a "Siggy" type loan player in right now,there's got to be some top players looking to get game time to boost their World Cup chances,even if it's only on a short term deal.
Like post
Like this post
10 January 2014 23:35 Post ID: #125164 - in reply to #123989
Roger Freestone
rooney and rvp out i think. difficult game to call this, but a good start to the game and to get the crowd on united's back will give us a good chance
Like post
Like this post
11 January 2014 00:07 Post ID: #125169 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Rotheram United

Still going to be a hugely difficult task to come away with anything tomorrow, our squad is down to the bare bones although the players we do have have been playing well of late.

Another trip up north tomorrow, have almost become blase about playing at Old Trafford these days....though in all truth still pinch myself when I realise that we are now in our third consecutive Premier League season and still gaining plaudits with our style of play.

Edited by Swan_Lady2 11/1/2014 00:10
Like post
Like this post
12 January 2014 11:16 Post ID: #125185 - in reply to #123989
Ivor Allchurch
Safa Beirut,Lebanon
Certainly paid off for Moyes,getting fined 8k for criticising refs,Foy couldn't do enough to help United yesterday,as they fouled at will and rolled over at the slightest contact for Foy to give them countless free kicks in dangerous positions.
It all started off so well and we more than matched them first half,but with no end product.
We came out second half sleeping for Valencia's goal on 47 mins,and again on 59 mins from Wellbeck. Moyes had them fired up at the half time talk,and it could have been many more goals as United,with 4 defeats from 6 home games suddenly found it easy. They pressed us high up,and the nervous Tremmel was just kicking the ball straight out to the opposition each time.
Routledge was back to his usual self,and disappeared into his shell once again,weakly losing possession for both goals,surely he would have been subbed if we had anybody decent on the bench. Bony was well shackled by Vidic,but was never going to score with his back to goal anyway. Set pieces woeful, overhit, underhit, nowhere near Bony,even Bony had a go and skied his free kick attempt.
Rangel and Davies backed off too far from 18 year old Januzaj each time he ran at them,allowing him far too much room to freely fire in countless dangerous crosses,he ran rings round them for both goals.
Shelvey started walking around on 60 mins (why is he still not fit enough to play 90 mins?)and he was subbed by super sub Vasquez,who did his usual headless chicken act.
61%-39% possession counted for nothing with two weak shots on target throughout,their goalkeeper not even properly tested.
Very worrying times.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (30): « First ... 6 7 8
10 11 12 ... Last »
Jump to forum: