Date:Friday August 13 2010
Darren Pratley has released his own statement regarding his contract talks at Swansea City and the reason why he has to decided to reject a new deal at the Liberty Stadium.
The former Fulham midfielder explained in his statement that he was disappointed by how long it took the club to offer him a new contract, and says next Summer might be the right time for a new challenge elsewhere.
Pratley also insists that he is not motivated by money, and the financial package on offer at Swansea City was 'fantastic'.
"It is true that I have been unable to agree a new deal with Swansea and I now intend to see out the final year of my contract. During that time I will continue to give 100 per cent in everything I do for the club and I hope to be an integral part of a Swansea team that can challenge for the play-offs this season.
"I would like to make it clear that my decision is not motivated by money because the financial package Swansea put to me was fantastic. I am a man of principles though and I have been left disappointed by how long it took the club to offer me a new contract.
His future has been in doubt for past few months as Nottingham Forest have shown a continued interest in the midfielder, but our Championship rivals have yet to make a bid that matches our asking price.
The Darren Pratley situation appears to be like Leon Britton's last year. He rejected contract talks and decided to play out the remainder of his contract before leaving for a free to join Sheffield United this Summer. Swansea City now risk losing another top player next Summer as Pratley is happy to play out the remainder of his current deal.
Pratley's statement continues:
"I publicly made it clear last Christmas that I wished to extend my contract with Swansea as soon as possible. The former manager Paulo Sousa was aware of this and tried to get me a new deal, but nothing came forward from chairman Huw Jenkins.
"I continued to ask for a new deal, but Mr Jenkins then said this summer that he was not in a rush to offer me one. I was disappointed with that stance and it made me reconsider my future.
"As soon as Brendan Rodgers took over he made it clear he saw me as a key player and the club finally made me an offer in writing last Thursday, two days before the start of the season. As I have said, Swansea offered me a great deal, but I felt it was too late.
"I hope the fans can respect my decision and trust that I will continue to give everything to the Swansea cause. This will be my fifth season with the club and, while I have enjoyed every minute, I feel next summer might be the right time for a new challenge."
Date:Friday August 13 2010
Hasselbaink: 'Swansea City Have The Perfect Model' (Monday March 30 2015)
Swansea Duo Injured On International Duty (Sunday March 29 2015)
Shechter Was Happy At Swansea Despite Poor Form (Friday March 27 2015)
The Swansea City Injury Table Situation (Friday March 27 2015)
Could Tiendalli & Richards Leave In The Summer? (Thursday March 26 2015)
Match Analysis: Aston Villa 0-1 Swansea City (Tuesday March 24 2015)
What Villa Fans Said After Swansea Defeat (Sunday March 22 2015)
Premier League Results Round-Up (Saturday March 21 2015)
Monk: We Should Have Won More Comfortably (Saturday March 21 2015)
Stats: Aston Villa v Swansea City (Saturday March 21 2015)
|9. West Ham||30||11||9||10||3||42|
|11. Crystal Palace||30||9||9||12||-5||36|
|Hasselbaink: 'Swansea City Have The Perfect Model'
» Swansea : 30/03/2015 20:45:01
|Wanyama - Don't Come Unstuck Against The Toffees
» Southampton : 30/03/2015 19:57:01
|Leicester Returning To Hong Kong
» Leicester City : 30/03/2015 19:35:00
|Bale Rush - What Madrid are saying
» Chelsea : 30/03/2015 19:32:01
|Blyth's Season Over At Burton
» Leicester City : 30/03/2015 19:28:01